The Bishop's House is a former Roman-Catholic monastery built in 1930 for the Augustinian Fathers who administered the Vicariate Apostolic of Cooktown, and St Monica's Parish in Cairns. The building is an excellent example of a monastery building designed for a tropical climate. It illustrates the tradition of building in re-inforced concrete, favoured in cyclone-prone Cairns since the early 1900s.
What's Open: The Bishop's House
Where: 185 Abbott Street, Cairns 4870
Tour Type: The guided tour leaves at 1pm from the front entry.
Building Type: Ecclesiastical
Year Built: 1930
Heritage Listed: Yes